[css-writing-mode]Direction and writing-mode on table rows/row-groups etc.
Xianzhu Wang
2017-06-25 22:16:26 UTC
Hi,

I just tried http://output.jsbin.com/cufubiv on Firefox which supports
logical properties to see how 'direction' and 'writing-mode' on TBODY are
handled, and I summarize as below:
- The properties affect logical styles;
- The properties don't affect order of table rows and columns;
- The properties are inherited by descendants;

I think Firefox's behavior is reasonable, but it would be better if the
spec defined it more precisely. For example, we may need clarification
about the applicability of 'writing-mode' (which is currently described as
not applicable to table-row-groups, etc.), and how 'direction' (which is
described as applicable to all elements) on table-row-groups etc. affects
column order.

Thanks,
Xianzhu
Simon Sapin
2017-06-25 22:50:19 UTC
Post by Xianzhu Wang
'direction' and 'writing-mode' on TBODY
[…]
- The properties don't affect order of table rows and columns;
I think this makes sense since there can be multiple tbody’s in the same
table. So the order/direction of rows and colums is based on the
properties of the table elements.
Simon Sapin
Xianzhu Wang
2017-06-27 16:07:59 UTC
(s/css-writing-mode/css-writing-modes/ in subject)
Post by Xianzhu Wang
I think Firefox's behavior is reasonable, but it would be better if the
spec defined it more precisely. For example, we may need clarification
about the applicability of 'writing-mode' (which is currently described as
not applicable to table-row-groups, etc.), and how 'direction' (which is
described as applicable to all elements) on table-row-groups etc. affects
column order.
Agreed. However, the spec looks unclear about this. Also if we think the
Firefox behavior about logical properties is correct, the spec also looks
inaccurate to say that 'writing-mode' is not applicable on tbody etc.
because the property affects logical properties of the elements.