[css-logical-props] inside/outside properties/values
Håkon Wium Lie
2015-04-06 22:48:23 UTC
The draft which is currently called "CSS Logical Properties" describes
property names and values that are relative to the writing direction.
The term "logical" is used without a definition, nor without a
discussion. To me, it seems illogical to claim that these
properties/values are any more logical than other properties. Rather,
they should be referred to as being "writing-mode dependent",
"direction-dependent", or something similar.

A similar group of extensions are relative to the binding of a book:
inside or outside. Prince has implemented these, as in:

margin-inside: ...
margin-outside: ..
float: inside | outside
clear: inside | outside
etc.

http://www.princexml.com/doc/9.0/properties/

I believe the draft should also describe these sort of
properties/values. A more generic title for a draft, which would cover
all of the above cases, would be "formatting-dependent properties and
values".

Cheers,

-h&kon
Håkon Wium Lie CTO °þe®ª
***@opera.com http://people.opera.com/howcome
Tab Atkins Jr.
2015-04-14 23:09:38 UTC
Post by HÃ¥kon Wium Lie
[...]
Agreed that we should address inside/outside as well. Our solution
for writing-mode-depending properties *should* generalize to allow an
arbitrary number of property sets; in particular, the page-dependent
are top/inside/bottom/outside. (Or do we want tobi order?)

~TJ
fantasai
2017-06-20 20:21:30 UTC
Post by HÃ¥kon Wium Lie
[...]
Hi Håkon!
Agreed that these are important use cases for us to address
within the context of keyword mappings. The main difficulty
here is that the mapping is layout-dependent and can vary
among fragments of a single box. For this reason, I think we
have to defer this to another level. But it's being tracked
in https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/255 and hopefully
will have a home in the future. :)

~fantasai