[css-values][css-transforms][css-motion][css-background] Updated <position>
2017-03-15 19:58:28 UTC
Tab and I just pushed the changes to drop the 3-value syntax from <position> per
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2017Feb/0052.html
The canonical reference is now (again) in CSS Values and Units 3.
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-values-3/#position

This implies changes to object-position, mask-position, radial gradients,
and offset-position. It also makes <position> available for use in
transform-origin and perspective-origin.

(Note, if implementers want us to also drop from background-position, I'm sure the
CSSWG could consider that as well if presented with compelling Web-compat data
indicating no problems... but we've otherwise special-cased background-position as
superset syntax that includes the 3-value clauses.)

We would like to request

A. Review of the altered syntax definition.
and subject to approval of A,
B. Republication of css-values-3.
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-values-3/#changes
C. Republication of css-backgrounds-3.
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-backgrounds-3/#changes-2014-09
D. Republication of motion-1 (which is soooooo overdue for publication).
https://drafts.fxtf.org/motion/ vs https://www.w3.org/TR/motion-1/
E. Pending Transform edits and state of general coherence, republication of Transforms.

Thanks~
~fantasai and TJ
Simon Fraser
2017-05-02 20:22:40 UTC
Post by fantasai
[...]
I have reviewed the new syntax and it looks reasonable as the basis for transform-origin, and in perspective-origin.

Simon
Eric Willigers
2017-05-24 20:56:03 UTC
I have added use counters to Blink, so we will learn in three months how
often 3-value positions are currently being used in object-position, basic
shapes, gradients and also background-position and perspective-origin.