user-select
Jens Oliver Meiert
2017-04-25 14:45:10 UTC
I’ve noticed the “user-select” property being used in the wild but
find no mention in the specs;
https://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-css3-userint-20000216#user-select talked
about it but the later referred-to https://www.w3.org/TR/css-ui-3/
doesn’t know it anymore, for example.

Have I missed another draft, or what’s the latest on this?

Thanks,

Jens.
--
Jens Oliver Meiert
https://meiert.com/en/

✎ On Web Development: https://meiert.com/webdev
Amelia Bellamy-Royds
2017-04-25 15:16:55 UTC
user-select is now defined in CSS UI level 4. Maybe one of the editors can
explain which aspects of the definition were problematic enough to justify
delaying it:
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-ui-4/#propdef-user-select

By the way, the CSS WG has recently published a consolidated index, which
makes it much easier to find the current definition of a property. I don't
think they have announced it loudly enough on this list -- it is very
helpful!
https://drafts.csswg.org/indexes/
Florian Rivoal
2017-04-26 00:25:25 UTC
The old definition in https://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-css3-userint-20000216#user-select <https://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-css3-userint-20000216#user-select> was quite different from the modern version, and dealt with things like whether you can select one or multiple items in the dropdown that you get with the <select> element. That never got implemented, so it was dropped.

CSS-UI-4 specifies the modern version you know about, working back from what implementations actually do, and harmonizing the differences.

—Florian
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-ui-4/#propdef-user-select <https://drafts.csswg.org/css-ui-4/#propdef-user-select>
https://drafts.csswg.org/indexes/ <https://drafts.csswg.org/indexes/>
https://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-css3-userint-20000216#user-select <https://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-css3-userint-20000216#user-select> talked
about it but the later referred-to https://www.w3.org/TR/css-ui-3/ <https://www.w3.org/TR/css-ui-3/>
https://meiert.com/en/ <https://meiert.com/en/>
✎ On Web Development: https://meiert.com/webdev <https://meiert.com/webdev>
Jens Oliver Meiert
2017-04-26 16:45:28 UTC
Post by Florian Rivoal
The old definition in
https://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-css3-userint-20000216#user-select was quite
different from the modern version, and dealt with things like whether you
can select one or multiple items in the dropdown that you get with the
<select> element. That never got implemented, so it was dropped.
CSS-UI-4 specifies the modern version you know about, working back from
what implementations actually do, and harmonizing the differences.
Got it, thanks Florian!
--
Jens Oliver Meiert
https://meiert.com/en/
Jens Oliver Meiert
2017-04-26 15:23:04 UTC
Post by Amelia Bellamy-Royds
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-ui-4/#propdef-user-select
Excellent, thank you!
Post by Amelia Bellamy-Royds
https://drafts.csswg.org/indexes/
Eh, forgot about that one. I’ve been asking about user-select for I’ve
long been maintaining a CSS index, too:
https://meiert.com/en/indices/css-properties/. (It does include
user-select now, though I’m careful including properties from drafts.)

Thank you!

Jens.
--
Jens Oliver Meiert