CSS Backgrounds and Borders Module Level 3 and border-style
Dennis Heuer
2018-01-12 16:45:49 UTC
Hello again!

I personally think that this module should be checked for unneccessary
incompatibilities

Found below border-width:

"Note that the initial width is medium, but the initial style is none
and therefore the used width is 0."

Why style = none and not, like in other cases, style = solid?

Regards,
Dennis Heuer
***@verschwendbare-verweise.seinswende.de
Dennis Heuer
2018-01-13 14:16:36 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 17:28:07 -0500
There is no inherent incompatibility when 'border-style' is 'none'
while 'border-width' uses a keyword like 'medium' or a positive
integer value. Both properties set distinct, separate features. Just
like a 'border-style' can be set to 'solid' while 'border-width' can
be set to '0'.
None of the css properties is semantically 'separate' or 'distinct'
because all are just serving partial logics (for the better or worse)
to the one and only 'representation'.
Post by Dennis Heuer
"Note that the initial width is medium, but the initial style is
none and therefore the used width is 0."
Dennis,
If you look at CSS1, CSS2.0, CSS2.1, CSS2.2,
There is the point. It was weird all the time!
Post by Dennis Heuer
Why style = none and not, like in other cases, style = solid?
Which other cases?
The initial value of text-decoration-style is 'solid':
https://www.w3.org/TR/css-text-decor-3/#text-decoration-style-property

Because text-decoration-line is 'none', that's a very sane default!

Same works with 'border-width: none; border-style: solid'!

I find it strange to 'activate' or 'deactivate' a border via 'style'!
If you look at initial value of properties in this page
https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS22/propidx.html
This is old! I don't talk about the past! I pledge for a future ;)
The initial value of 'border-width' could have been set to '0' too
instead of 'medium' while the initial value of 'border-style' could
have been set to 'solid'. The initial value of 'border-color' could
have been set to 'transparent' too.
.... or 'currentcolor', which is more helpful when only setting the width
to something visible...
Gérard