[css-logical-props] logical border radius properties
Cameron McCormack
2015-01-17 05:07:53 UTC
Is there any reason not to have logical versions of the border radius
properties?
Cameron McCormack
2015-01-17 05:38:18 UTC
Post by Cameron McCormack
Is there any reason not to have logical versions of the border radius
properties?
dbaron points out to me that the names of the properties would be pretty
bad, if we follow the existing naming scheme:
border-block-start-inline-end-radius, etc.
Simon Pieters
2015-01-19 10:20:25 UTC
Post by Cameron McCormack
Post by Cameron McCormack
Is there any reason not to have logical versions of the border radius
properties?
dbaron points out to me that the names of the properties would be pretty
border-block-start-inline-end-radius, etc.
Maybe when having to give both in a property name, we could make it
contextual so that block is first, inline is second, i.e.
border-start-end-radius ?
--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software
fantasai
2015-01-21 09:22:00 UTC
Post by Cameron McCormack
Post by Cameron McCormack
Is there any reason not to have logical versions of the border radius
properties?
border-block-start-inline-end-radius, etc.
Maybe when having to give both in a property name, we could make it contextual so that block is first, inline is second, i.e.
border-start-end-radius ?
I think this makes sense, personally.

~fantasai
Lea Verou
2015-01-21 16:57:43 UTC
Post by fantasai
Post by Cameron McCormack
Post by Cameron McCormack
Is there any reason not to have logical versions of the border radius
properties?
border-block-start-inline-end-radius, etc.
Maybe when having to give both in a property name, we could make it contextual so that block is first, inline is second, i.e.
border-start-end-radius ?
I think this makes sense, personally.
~fantasai
Me too.

Btw, while we’re at it, we should also add those side border-radius properties (border-top-radius, border-right-radius etc) we discussed a while ago. [1]

~Lea

[1]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Oct/0314.html
Chris Eppstein
2015-01-21 17:02:49 UTC
Post by fantasai
Post by Simon Pieters
Post by Cameron McCormack
Post by Cameron McCormack
Is there any reason not to have logical versions of the border radius
properties?
dbaron points out to me that the names of the properties would be pretty
border-block-start-inline-end-radius, etc.
Maybe when having to give both in a property name, we could make it
contextual so that block is first, inline is second, i.e.
border-start-end-radius ?
I think this makes sense, personally.
~fantasai
In Sass we allow properties sharing a prefix to be nested. Maybe this is
something CSS should consider:

div {
border: {
width: 8px;
radius: 50px;
start: {
shape: circle;
}
}
}

Chris
Tab Atkins Jr.
2015-01-21 00:21:04 UTC
Post by Cameron McCormack
Post by Cameron McCormack
Is there any reason not to have logical versions of the border radius
properties?
dbaron points out to me that the names of the properties would be pretty
border-block-start-inline-end-radius, etc.
We can just shorten them to border-bs-ie-radius. Looks pretty good to me. ^_^

~TJ
fantasai
2015-01-21 09:21:04 UTC
Post by Tab Atkins Jr.
Post by Cameron McCormack
Post by Cameron McCormack
Is there any reason not to have logical versions of the border radius
properties?
dbaron points out to me that the names of the properties would be pretty
border-block-start-inline-end-radius, etc.
We can just shorten them to border-bs-ie-radius. Looks pretty good to me. ^_^
I.. can't tell if you're kidding.

~fantasai
Tab Atkins Jr.
2015-01-21 17:13:30 UTC
Post by fantasai
Post by Tab Atkins Jr.
Post by Cameron McCormack
Post by Cameron McCormack
Is there any reason not to have logical versions of the border radius
properties?
dbaron points out to me that the names of the properties would be pretty
border-block-start-inline-end-radius, etc.
We can just shorten them to border-bs-ie-radius. Looks pretty good to me. ^_^
I.. can't tell if you're kidding.
Haha, success!

I was joking. I was just amused by the juxtaposition of BS and IE.

~TJ
fantasai
2017-06-20 20:14:15 UTC
Is there any reason not to have logical versions of the border radius properties?
Hi Cameron,
The CSSWG resolved on this here:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2015Feb/0504.html

The outstanding edits will go into css-backgrounds-4; this is being
tracked here: https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/491

~fantasai