[css-ui] css-counter-styles or cursor value regex allowing contradictive choice
Dennis Heuer
2018-01-14 23:53:21 UTC
Hello

https://www.w3.org/TR/css-ui-3/#propdef-cursor

The value-regex to the property cursor says that it's ok to declare
both an URI and 'none', if I'm right. This will not cause an error but
could be fixed (see below!!!) Is there a comma between URI and keyword?

Your take:

[ auto | default | none | /* possibly this line should be exclusive */
context-menu | help | pointer | progress | wait |
cell | crosshair | text | vertical-text |
alias | copy | move | no-drop | not-allowed | grab | grabbing |
e-resize | n-resize | ne-resize | nw-resize | s-resize | se-resize |
sw-resize | w-resize | ew-resize | ns-resize | nesw-resize |
nwse-resize | col-resize | row-resize | all-scroll | zoom-in | zoom-out
] ]

My take:

auto | default | none |
[
context-menu | help | pointer | progress | wait |
cell | crosshair | text | vertical-text |
alias | copy | move | no-drop | not-allowed | grab | grabbing |
e-resize | n-resize | ne-resize | nw-resize | s-resize | se-resize |
sw-resize | w-resize | ew-resize | ns-resize | nesw-resize |
nwse-resize | col-resize | row-resize | all-scroll | zoom-in | zoom-out
]

Regards,
Dennis Heuer
***@verschwendbare-verweise.seinswende.de
Xidorn Quan
2018-01-15 01:22:55 UTC
Post by Dennis Heuer
[...]
Thanks for your email.

As declared in an early section of the spec, nowadays the preferred way for discussing spec issues is GitHub issues. All issues posted to this list would be migrated to GitHub if it's worth further discussing. So please file issue there directly rather than posting to this list.

For this specific issue, I don't see there is any problem to allow authors to specify auto, default, or none as a fallback cursor of url.

- Xidorn
Florian Rivoal
2018-01-15 02:39:10 UTC
Post by Xidorn Quan
Post by Dennis Heuer
[...]
I agree with Xidorn.

In addition, even you the change you suggested was preferable,
the cursor property has been this way for a long time
and is implemented interoperably in multiple browsers.
Changing it now would break many web sites,
and is not something we can consider at this point.

—Florian Rivoal
Dennis Heuer
2018-01-15 13:36:23 UTC
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 12:22:55 +1100
Post by Xidorn Quan
Hello
Thanks for your email.
For this specific issue, I don't see there is any problem to allow
authors to specify auto, default, or none as a fallback cursor of url.
- Xidorn
It's just illogic to first ask for a veric specific cursor that even
has to get downloaded or none at all (??? ) Is there a reason for
this cursor???

My actual take is to first set the keyword to make clear what this
lenghty line of URI's is about:

auto | default | none |
[
context-menu | help | pointer | progress | wait |
cell | crosshair | text | vertical-text |
alias | copy | move | no-drop | not-allowed | grab | grabbing |
e-resize | n-resize | ne-resize | nw-resize | s-resize | se-resize |
sw-resize | w-resize | ew-resize | ns-resize | nesw-resize |
nwse-resize | col-resize | row-resize | all-scroll | zoom-in |
zoom-out
]

But what do I help if you don't take anything!